7 Efficient Tips to Make My Laptop Run Faster
I have an old laptop that has been using for several years, and I am feeling that it is running slower and slower. Every time when I start my laptop, I would not stand that waiting for it, because it takes a long time. What's worse, when I open or close a program, it takes several minutes, that makes me annoyed very much and I can't stand it anymore. How to make my old laptop run faster? I searched the methods from the internet and use them to speed up my laptop, here I am glad to share with my experience which would be helpful for you. The steps on different Windows may be a little different, because in my laptop is Windows 7, here I mainly take Windows 7 for example. Steps to make laptop run faster:
- Guide Steps
- Part 1: Uninstall unnecessary programs from my laptop
- Part 2: Remove unnecessary files to clean up my laptop
- Part 3: Disable the unnecessary Startups on my laptop
- Part 4: Check disk errors on my laptop
- Part 5: Defragment hard disk to free space for my laptop
- Part 6: Add more memory to your laptop
- Part 7: Change the HDD (Hard Disk driver) to SSD (Solid State Drive)
Part 1: Uninstall unnecessary programs from my laptop
The first thing to do is uninstall unnecessary programs especially for the antivirus that often runs automatically and affect a lot at the speed of my laptop.
Step 1: Click on Start and select Control Panel on the right side (or type in control panel on the Search Box to search it).
Step 2: On the Control Panel, click on Programs. If you see the Uninstall a program link, you also can click on it and then go to step 4.
Step 3: Click on Programs and Features. If you see the Uninstall a program link, you also can click on it and then go to the step 4.
Step 4: Select the program you do not need, right-click on it, and click Uninstall.
Step 5: Remove all of the unnecessary programs one by one.
Part 2: Remove unnecessary files to clean up my laptop
My laptop has been used for a long time, so it has many duplicate and junk files I was not aware before. Now it is time to clear up the files.
(1) Clear up my desktop by deleting or removing the duplicate files.
(2) Open the disk to delete the duplicate and junk files one by one.
(3) Delete the zip file, movie, music, picture or other files I do not need.
(4) Use disk clean up to release space for laptop.
Step 1: Click on <strong>Start</strong>, and on the search box type in: <strong>disk cleanup</strong>.
Step 2: Click Disk Cleanup.
Step 3: Select the disk one by one and click on OK to check files you may need to clear.
Step 4: Check the checkbox if you need to delete the files or clean that item.
Step 5: Select the Recycle Bin option to empty the recycle bin.
Step 6: Click on OK to clean up the files.
Part 3: Disable the unnecessary Startups on my laptop
(1) Press shortcut key (Windows + R) to open Run.
(2) Type in: msconfig, press Enter (or click on OK) to open System Configuration.
(3) Click on Startup.
(4) Uncheck the checkbox if you do not want the program to run when laptop starts.
(5) Click on Apply, and click on OK.
Part 4: Check disk errors on my laptop
With the long time of my laptop being used, it may produce some errors on the disk. Check disk error options can helps to fix files system errors automatically.
Follow the steps below to scan error for disks:
(1) Double-click on the Computer icon on the desktop (or click on Start, and then click on Computer).
(2) Select the local disk, right click on it, and select Properties.
(3) Click on Tools, and click on Check now.
(4) Select Automatically fix file system errors, and click Start.
Tips: Windows cannot check the disk error while it is in use.
Part 5: Defragment hard disk to free space for my laptop
Disk Defragmenter consolidates fragmented files on my laptop hard disk to improve system performance.
(1) On the Search Box, type in: disk defragment.
(2) Click on Disk Defragment.
(3) Select a local disk, click on the Analyze disk button.
(4) The result is showed on the Last Run column.
(5) If the result is above 10%, click on Defragment disk button.
Part 6: Add more memory to your laptop
To make your laptop run faster, you can add more memory to your laptop by the following tips:
(1) If your system is windows xp, I recommend you upgate the momory to 1G.
(2) If your system is windows vista, win7, win8 or win10, I recommend you upgate the momory to 8G or more.
Part 7: Change the HDD (Hard Disk driver) to SSD (Solid State Drive)
The read/write speed of SSD four or more faster then the HDD, so I strong recommend you replace your HDD with SSD. However, the HDD is reliabler then SSD, so you should backup your important data when you are using a SSD.
You can refer to this article to see How to install a new SSD in your laptop or desktop PC.
Tips: After the optimization operations, restart your laptop, do you find it running much more smoothly?